PREVALENCE AND TREATMENT SEEKING BEHAVIOUR FOR MENSTRUAL PROBLEMS AMONG WOMEN IN URBAN SLUMS IN TAMIL NADU By Saravanakumar and Dr. C. Sivapragasam

Abstract

Women in urban slums suffered due to various reproductive health problems in Tamil Nadu and their treatment seeking behavior is very poor. The objective of this paper is to estimate the prevalence and treatment seeking behaviour of women living in urban slums for their menstrual problems. Urban slum women in Madurai and Dindigul Municipal corporations in Tamil Nadu, aged 15 to 49 years were interviewed. Women (45.5 percent) living in urban slums suffered due to menstrual problems, only 30 percent of women treated for the problem and the remaining 70 percent not treated for their menstrual problems, among them, 41 percent of them treated at private health facilities. Women living in joint family system, women married below 18 years, higher gravida women, women with less awareness about RH problems and low empowerment women are the targeted persons who are less likely to go for treatment for their menstrual problems to be educated and motivated by the government and health facilities.         

Keywords: Menstrual problems, Reproductive health, Urban slum, Treatment seeking behavior.

Related posts

Leave a Comment